Still braving the fierceness of the Iowa winter’s north wind, intrepid riders will take to the road for the Perry Chamber of Commerce’s 39th Annual BRR — Bike Ride to Rippey — Saturday, Feb. 6.
The annual 24-mile round-trip bike ride from Perry to Rippey, known as Iowa’s original winter bike ride, rolls on regardless of the weather. The BRR ride has sometimes treated its cyclists to frigid temperatures and foot-deep snow and in other years brought springlike temperatures of 60 degrees.
Participation in the Perry-to-Rippey round-trip ride has grown every year, according to Bob Wilson, executive director of the Perry-Area Chamber of Commerce, which sponsors of the event. Wilson said riders and their guests from around Iowa and across the U.S. enjoy challenging themselves in this first ride of the Iowa biking season — or rather pre-season.
The BRR Ride is a family-friendly event that includes prizes and entertainment. Pre-registration is $25 and day-of-ride registration is $35 and includes the 39th Annual BRR T-shirt, a traditional commemorative lapel pin (for first 300 registrants), a ticket for the hot chocolate break midway to Rippey, free sag wagon services, automatic entrance in drawing for $500 in Perry Bucks, admission to McCreary Community Building for swimming, sauna and whirlpool — plus coupons and discounts from area businesses.
A $15 Support-the-Ride registration includes no merchandise.
“All participants are encouraged to register for the chamber’s annual BRR event,” Wilson said. “This event sets the tone for our area Chamber of Commerce events and activities throughout the remainder of 2016, so we thank those individuals that respect the ride and our efforts to provide the best BRR ride as well as future events.”
2016 BRR Ride Schedule of Events
City of Perry
- 7 a.m.-10:30 a.m. — Breakfast by Perry Lions Club (Open to Public) Hotel Pattee,, 1112 Willis Ave.
- 8 a.m. to noon — Registration and pickup of materials for pre-registered riders at Hotel Pattee, 1112 Willis Ave.
- 10 a.m. — Ride kickoff and ceremonial canon shot by Chuck Scheib at corner of Second Street and Willis Avenue
City of Rippey
- Baked potato bar — The East Greene Youth Fellowship will host the bar at the church, with proceeds to benefit their annual mission trips.
- Roast beef sundaes — The Rippey Lions Club will serve sundaes in the community room at the corner of Third and Main streets.
- Beer tent — The Rippey Fire Department will host a beer tent.
Public safety officials ask that riders depart from Rippey no later than 3 p.m. in order to ensure a safe return to Perry before sunset.
For more information or to register for the ride, contact the Perry Chamber at 515-465-4601 or email email@example.com.