Preliminary partying for the BRR Bike Ride to Rippey, the annual 24-mile round-trip bike ride from Perry to Rippey, began Friday night at La Poste LLC, with the band Stranger than Fiction warming up riders and others from around Iowa and across the U.S. who gather for the annual ride.
Ride-time forecasts call for temperatures in the 40s for the family-friendly event. Day-of-ride registration is still available for $40 and includes the 42nd annual BRR T-shirt, a chance to win up to $500 in Perry Bucks, free hot chocolate at Hy-Vee’s Famous Hot Chocolate Stop, free admission to McCreary Community Building — includings pool, hot tub and sauna — and free sag wagon and support services.
Other registration perks include special discounts from local merchants, including Friday night and Saturday afternoon entertainment and a free drink with wristband at the Hotel Pattee after-party concert.
A $15 Support-the-Ride registration includes no merchandise. A hard-copy BRR registration form is available, and riders can also register online. The ride’s official start and other morning activities will take place at the Hotel Pattee, 1112 Willis Ave.
2019 BRR Ride Schedule of Events
- 7:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m. — Breakfast by the Perry Lions Club for general public at the Hotel Pattee, 1112 Willis Ave.
- 8 a.m. to noon — Registration and pickup of materials for pre-registered riders at Hotel Pattee, 1112 Willis Ave.
- 9:30 a.m. — Zumba/STRONG warm-up with Deb Miller, instructor for STRONG at the McCreary Community Building
- 10 a.m. — Ride kickoff at corner of Second Street and Willis Avenue
- 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. — After-Party with Lil Red and the Medicated Moose Band at Hotel Pattee, 1112 Willis Ave.
City of Rippey
- Baked potato bar — The East Greene Youth Fellowship will host the potato bar at the Rippey United Methodist Church, with proceeds to benefit their annual mission trips.
- Roast beef sundaes — The Rippey Lions Club will serve sundaes, chili, desserts and beverages in the community room at the corner of Third and Main streets.
Public safety officials ask that riders depart from Rippey no later than 3 p.m. in order to ensure a safe return to Perry before sunset.