A kitchen fire at the Burger King restaurant at 1319 141st St. in Perry about 11 p.m. Friday forced the evacuation and early closure of the store.
There were no injuries in the blaze, which began in the area of the broilers, according to store employees.
The workers said they believed the fire was not caused by grease but possibly by an electrical malfunction because they smelled an odor like burning insulation.
When the overhead fire suppression system failed to operate, a portable fire extinguisher was used to control the blaze until the arrival of firefighters, the laborers said.
The Perry Volunteer Fire Department responded and set up exhaust fans to clear the building of snoke.
The cause of the fire is under investigation at this hour.
The Perry Police Department and Dallas County EMS also responded.
ThePerryNews.com will update this story as information becomes available.