Fire destroyed a passenger car about 1:30 p.m. Sunday in Perry after the vehicle ignited due to an overheated engine, according to Perry firefighters.
There were no injuries to the solo driver, who escaped before the vehicle was fully engulfed.
The Perry Police Department and Perry Volunteer Fire Department responded to the incident, which occurred in the parking lot of a local financial services company on Perry’s east side.
“The driver said his car overheated in Urbandale,” said Perry Volunteer Fire Department First Assistant Chief Brian Eiteman. “He said he added water before driving here, so we’re assuming he ran it dry, and that overheated block caused the fire.”
ThePerryNews.com will update this story as information becomes available.