The Perry City Hall issued the following statement Tuesday, regarding the use of the city’s recycling dumpsters:
Because people have been dumping garbage, appliances, windows, furniture and other non-recyclable items in the Perry Recycling Dumpsters, the Perry Public Works Department has installed chains on the dumpsters to limit the lids from opening all the way.
Residents can still open the lid wide enough to allow deposit of their recyclables into the trailer, but open dumping of large items into the dumpsters will be prevented.
When the recycle dumpsters are contaminated with garbage, appliances, furniture and other non-recyclable materials, they will not be accepted by the recycling center, and the entire load must be taken to the landfill.
Perry Residents may still bring their recyclables to the three drop-off locations around the city:
- at the lot east of the Public Safety Building
- at the main parking lot at the McCreary Center
- on the south side of the football field parking lot
Please note that the 8-yard containers at these locations are only for use by residents who have garbage service with the city of Perry.
The following items are accepted:
- Paper products: Newsprint, magazines, junk mail, cereal boxes, shiny inserts, paper egg cartons, twelve pack cartons, and paperback books. No waxy cardboard such as milk cartons.
- Plastic: Rinse out and remove labels. Painted labels are acceptable. Plastic grocery bags are not accepted but can be recycled at Hy-Vee.
- Metal Cans: Rinse out and remove labels. Cans do not need to be flattened. Painted labels are acceptable.
- Aluminum: Foil, pie plates, etc. Need to be clean.
- Glass, styrofoam and yard waste is not accepted!
Residents may also use a container located in the lot north of the Public Safety Building for disposal of cardboard. All cardboard must be broken down into flat pieces in order to be accepted.
Garbage of any kind will not be accepted and will be considered littering. Violators will be subject to a fine. All sites are now equipped with cameras that monitor and record activity in the vicinity.
For more information, call the Perry City Hall at 515-465-2481.