One of the better kept secrets in the $16 million Future Ready Iowa program is the $13 million pool of cash in the Last-Dollar Scholarship fund.
The Last-Dollar Scholarship program, new for the fall 2019 term, aims to help more Iowans achieve education or training after high school in high-demand jobs by helping pay their tuition for programs leading to two-year degrees. New high school grads and adult learners already working or who are unemployed can participate.
“This is a little bit unique,” said Eddie Diaz, director of the Des Moines Area Community College Perry VanKirk Career Academy. “There’s a few dozen high-demand trade jobs that the state of Iowa will cover 100 percent of the tuition if you go into. Not only do they pay 100 percent of it, but it’s targeting the middle-class segment that typically doesn’t get financial aid.”
As the name implies, the Last-Dollar Scholarship will cover any remaining gap between the tuition cost and fees and the federal and state grants and scholarships students have already qualified for.
The Last-Dollar Scholarship is available to two categories of students, Diaz said. The first is new high school grads who enroll full-time in a qualified program in the fall after graduation. They must apply for all other available state and federal grants and scholarships and meet ongoing eligibility requirements.
The second category is adult learners age 20 and older. They must enroll part-time or full-time in a qualified program, apply for all other available state and federal grants and scholarships and meet ongoing requirements.
The scholarship program starts in the fall 2019 term. To be eligible for this program, students must file a FAFSA Application as soon as possible and make sure to include DMACC College Code 004589. The FAFSA deadline for the 2019-2020 academic year is Aug. 1.
DMACC offers a wide variety of programs that qualify for Last-Dollar Scholarship funding:
- Applied Engineering Technology-Wind Turbine Technologies
- Architectural Technologies
- Associate Degree Nursing
- Automotive Service Technician and Mechanics
- Bio-Medical Electronics Technology
- Building Trades Diploma
- Bus and Truck Mechanic and Diesel Engine Specialist
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Computer Aided Drafting And Design
- Computer Information Systems
- Computer Languages, Diploma
- Criminal Justice-Electronic Crime Concentration
- Dental Assisting
- Dental Hygiene
- Electrical Construction Trades
- Electro-Mechanical Technicians
- Electronics Engineering Technology
- Fluid Power Technology
- Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration Technology Aas
- Information Technology/Network Administration
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Network Technology-Telecommunications/Data Communications
- Paramedic, Clinical Concentration
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Practical Nursing
- Respiratory Therapy
- Surgical Technology
- Telecommunications Technology
- Tool and Diemaking
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant and System Operators
- Web Development
As of July 24, DMACC has awarded Last-Dollar Scholarship to 701 students, adding up to more than $1.4 million in scholarship support. More scholarship dollars are still available on a first come, first served basis. The FAFSA Application deadline for Last-Dollar Scholarship program is Aug. 1.
For more information, call 515-428-8100.