MCB evacuated Wednesday when broken coupler causes smoke

1
1270
Perry Police Department Officer Laura Deaton, left, and Perry Parks and Recreation Director John Anderson, in green, inspect the mechanical room at the McCreary Community Building Wednesday afternoon while members of the Perry Volunteer Fire Department seek the source of smoke that was reported at the rec center about 5:30 p.m.

The McCreary Community Building was evacuated about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday when smoke was seen in the vicinity of the weight room.

“The drive coupler on their chilled water circulating pump broke,” according to Perry Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Kevin McLaughlin, incident commander. “It’s a rubber coupling, so with the pump motor spinning and that thing just going ’round and ’round, it was like burning rubber, and it generated some smoke.”

There were no injuries in the incident, and McLaughlin said there was no damage to the building.

“The building’s fine,” he said. “It just kind of filled their mechanical room with burnt-rubber smoke, so we opened the doors and vented it out. Now it’s just a matter of them replacing the drive coupler.”

The Perry Police Department, Perry First Responders, Perry Volunteer Fire Department and Dallas County EMS responded to the incident.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.