Teachers in the Perry Elementary School English Learner (EL) program hosted a family engagement night Thursday, Feb. 27, with about 150 people enjoying pizza, chips, cookies and water while they chatted and played family-friendly games.
One of the missions of the Perry Elementary EL team is to encourage family involvement in learning, whether that be through reading at home or having daily conversations among students and their families. EL students brought home two books at their own reading level, and each family took home one diversity book in their home language.
The Perry Elementary EL team said they were grateful to several organizations for generous donations that helped make the family engagement night a big success for Perry’s English Learner families:
Casey’s graciously donated several free pizzas plus a gift card and coupons to assist with purchasing the remaining pizzas needed for the evening.
- Fareway provided several cases of bottled water so everyone had plenty to drink.
- Heartland AEA provided a grant to assist with purchasing books and supplies
- Hy-Vee provided several boxes of chips that were a big hit among the students.
- Perry Nutrition Department provided several trays of cookies that were a fun treat for students and families.
- Subway provided coupons for free sandwiches coupons that were used as part of the prizes given to students.
“These donations helped make our night a success!” said Director of Teaching and Learning Kevin Vidergar. “The elementary EL team had a lot of fun and we hope the families in attendance did too! We are excited to host another event in the future.”
Anyone wishing to donate to an EL event should contact Vidergar at email@example.com.