As a capstone to the annual National Fire Prevention Week, the Perry Volunteer Fire Department staged a structure-fire training exercise Saturday morning, burning the house at 1423 W. Second St. to the ground.
“A burn like this gives our crew a chance to test all the nozzles and valves and get a good feel for the hoses when they’re under high pressure,” said Perry Volunteer Fire Department Chief Chris Hinds of Perry.
The fire crew opened vent holes in the roof of the structure in order to control the progress of the blaze and raised earthen berms to prevent the fire’s spreading to nearby properties. The building is owned by Kevin Frantum, according to county records.
By noon the house was fully engulfed, and a large crowd of onlookers gathered near Bateman and W. Second streets. Hinds said the house burned with no damage to neighboring structures.