With asbestos abatement complete, the extensive renovation of the 62-year-old Perry Middle School building has begun.
Among the many planned renovations of the Perry Middle School are:
- Expanded and relocated classrooms
- Updated furniture, student desks, chairs, cabinetry and fixtures
- Relocated and updated main office and guidance offices
- Relocated media center and teachers’ lounge
- A new STEM lab and computer lab
- New wiring and electrical
- Updated projectors
- Updated commons area and cafeteria
- All new lighting throughout the building
- All new ceilings throughout the building
- Branding throughout the building
The February letting of the contract for the 2021 Perry Middle School renovation project did not attract any bids from general contractors, and the legality of the mid-March reletting was challenged by Urbandale-based Ball Team Construction LLC. The the Perry School Board finally awarded the $5.7 million construction contract April 21 to the Ball Team.
The Perry Middle School was built in 1959 and originally housed the Perry High School, which had previously stood at Willis Avenue at 10th Street. The current Perry High School was built in 2000.