More than 400 students competed in the 2016 SkillsUSA Iowa State Leadership and Skills Conference April 28 and 29 on the Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC) Ankeny Campus.
Perry will send 18 students to the week-long National SkillsUSA Skills Conference in Louisville, Ky., next month. To qualify for national competition, students must win their contests at the state level or if the winner cannot attend, then second-place finisher competes at nationals.
The following Perry students will travel to the national contest:
- Devin Patrick- Plumbing
- Lauren Benjamin- Photography
- Jacob Quijas- Motorcycle Technology
- Jacob Murillo- Masonry
- Gabe Ridnour- Technical Drafting
- Maggie Lamphier- Early Childhood Development
- Gage Welch and Tony Le- Digital Cinema Production
- T. J. Sheehy and Sadee Whitfield- Promotional Bulletin Board
- Emilio Gonzalez- Job Skill Demonstration
- Madyson Hill- Criminal Justice
- Daniel Brinton- Customer Service
- Dax Kresse, Jairo Murillo, David Santacruz, Kaitlyn Barr and Patience Galivan for Quiz Bowl
The PHS SkillsUSA coach, Curt Cornelius, said Perry High “was represented extremely well” in this year’s contests in Ankeny. The full roster of PHS students competing includes:
3rd Place Winners
Dalton Timmons- Architectural Drafting
Timothy Twogood- Automotive Service Technology
David Santacruz- Electrical Construction Wiring
Paige Peitzman- Job Interview
Dax Kresse- Technical Math
Kaitlyn Barr- National T-Shirt Design, State Pin Design and State T-Shirt Design
Alex Thompson- Technical Drafting
2nd Place Winners
Madyson Hill- Criminal Justice
Daniel Brinton- Customer Service
Jairo Murillo- Photography
T. J. Sheehy, Sadee Whitfield and Anna England- Promotional Bulletin Board
Lauren Benjamin- National T-shirt and State Pin Design
Anna England-State T-Shirt
1st Place Winners
Gage Welch and Skylar Cunningham- Digital Cinema Production
Maggie Lamphier- Early Childhood Development
Emilio Gonzalez- Job Skill Demonstration
Jacob Murillo- Masonry
Jacob Quijas- Motorcycle Technology
Lauren Benjamin- Photography
Devin Patrick- Plumbing
Hannah Sackett- Promotional Bulletin Board
T. J. Sheehy- National T-Shirt Design
Jairo Murillo- State Pin Design
Lauren Benjamin-State T-Shirt Design
Gabe Ridnour- Technical Drafting (CADD)
Several Perry-area DMACC students were also medalists winners at the State SkillsUSA Contest:
- Connor Sackett of Perry won first place in the Automotive Service Technology contest.
- Alexis Robles of Perry took third place in the team 3-D Visualization and Animation contest.
- Tiffany Sinnott of Grimes also took third place in the team 3-D Visualization and Animation contest.
- Parker Friedrichsen of Perry took third in the Advertising Design competition.
- First place in the Computer Numerical Control (CNC) Milling contest was captured by Brett Moore of Madrid.
- Nathan Carhill of Perry took second place in the CNC Technician competition.
According to its mission statement, SkillsUSA as an organization “empowers its members to become world-class workers, leaders and responsible American citizens. SkillsUSA improves the quality of America’s skilled workforce through a structured program of citizenship, leadership, employability, technical and professional skills training. SkillsUSA enhances the lives and careers of students, instructors and industry representatives as they strive to be champions at work.”