UPDATE: Man saved, four pets lost in house fire Monday

0
614
A Perry family grieves Monday evening after fire destroyed their home at 924 12th St., sending one person to the hospital and claiming the lives of their four dogs.


One person was rescued alive from the Monday afternoon fire that destroyed the house at 924 12th St., but the family’s four dogs died in the blaze.

The fire started near the front of the house, according to Perry Volunteer Fire Department Station Chief Brian Eiteman, and the injured man was found near the rear of the house.

“He was unconscious when we found him,” Eiteman said. The victim was extricated from the fully engulfed house by Eiteman and fellow firefighters Joel Eiteman, Israel Baltazar, Andy Modlin and Doug Harlan and transported to a Des Moines hospital.

His condition is unknown.

The fire was believed to have started when an electrical appliance overheated, Eiteman said.

“It ended up being a refrigerator overheated,” he said, “and there was a pillow behind it that the owners didn’t know was back there. It overheated and started the pillow on fire, and it ended up taking the house.”

The fire was reported about 3 p.m., and Perry firefighters battled the blaze until about 7:15 p.m. They returned briefly about 8:15 p.m. for a reported hot spot.

The 100-year-old house is owned by Narciso Galvan of Perry, according to county records. A fifth wheel camper was also consumed where it rested in the car port.

ThePerryNews.com will update this story as information becomes available.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.