An annual tradition among former Perry school system personnel, the We Don’t Have To Go Back To School Brunch, was held Friday on the first day of school.
Thirty-one people gathered at the Hotel Pattee to eat and renew acquaintances. Brief remarks followed the brunch from Perry Community School District Superintendent Clark Wicks, who listed nine new things in the district this year:
- 21 new teachers in the Perry Community School District
- 64 new students in the PCSD
- Three-day Perry wealth tour
- Construction projects at the Perry High School
- New carpeting in the Perry Elementary School
- New temporary parking arrangements at PHS
- New discussions about renewing the Perry Middle School
- A renewed “spirit and passion and enthusiam” for PCSD
- New sportswear at the Jay’s Nest
Sue Leslie was the “teacher” for the event, sharing greetings from out-of-town members and those traveling and unable to attend the brunch. Leslie then administered a quiz to test the historical knowledge of the retired teachers and staff members.