DES MOINES, Iowa — The AARP is now accepting nominations for its 2021 Iowa Andrus Award for Community Service, which honors Iowans aged 50 and older who are sharing their experience, talent and skills to enrich the lives of their community members.
“AARP Iowa is excited to shine a light on 50+ Iowans who are using what they’ve learned in life to make a difference in the lives around them,” said AARP Volunteer State President Chuck Betts of Keokuk.
The AARP Andrus Award for Community Service annual awards program was developed to honor individuals whose service makes a unique and valuable contribution to society. Last year AARP recognized 50 outstanding individuals and couples from around the country with the Andrus Award.
Nominations will be evaluated based on how the volunteer’s work has improved the community, reflected AARP’s vision and mission and inspired other volunteers. The award recipient will be announced in early fall.
The winning nominee will receive a $1,000 check donated to the non-profit organization of his or her choice.
A video profile of last year’s winner is available online.
The AARP Iowa Andrus Award for Community Service nominees must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Nominee must be at least 50 years of age.
- The achievements, accomplishments or services on which the nomination is based must have been performed on a volunteer basis, without pay. Volunteers receiving small stipends to cover the costs associated with the volunteer activity are eligible.
- The achievements, accomplishments or services on which the nomination is based must reflect AARP’s vision and purpose.
- The achievements, accomplishments or services on which the nomination is based must be replicable and provide inspiration for others to volunteer.
- Couples or partners who perform service together are also eligible, but teams are not eligible.
- This is not a posthumous award.
Nominations may be submitted online. The application deadline is Aug. 1, 2021.
For more information, contact Connie Eastman at the AARP Iowa Office at email@example.com.