The Bock Family Foundation Inc. of Perry, established in 2002 by the estates of Larry Bock and Barbara Bock, awarded 23 grants totaling $60,084 Wednesday in its spring 2019 grant cycle.
Bock Family Foundation Executive Director Scott Finneseth and Bock Family Foundation Board member the Rev. Paul Burrow thanked the groups for their devoted service to Dallas County’s residents and communities.
Finneseth said requests totaling $121,577 were received in the spring application cycle. While all the projects were worthy, he said, low agricultural commodity prices, the main determinant of the Bock Family Foundation’s available funds, make for difficult choices for the grant committee.
Along with Burrow, other directors on the board of the Bock Family Foundation Inc. include President Brent Halling, Vice President Harley Weyer, Secretary Joyce Van Kirk and Directors Jean Bromert, Jon S. Peters and John Powell.
Since its founding, the Bock Family Foundation Inc. has awarded grants totaling more than $1.875 million, including grants awarded in this spring 2019 cycle. Receiving grants at Wednesday’s event were:
- Dallas County Conservation Board: $7,500 for RRVT Connector Phase II
- Dallas County Conservation Board: $2,500 for Prairie Awakening-Prairie Awoke Celebration
- First United Methodist Church, Perry: $4,000 to replace parsonage windows
- City of Perry Parks and Recreation Department: $1,000 to refurbish starting blocks at McCreary Community Building Pool
- Friends of the Perry Public Library: $1,000 for KidsFest 2019
- Perry Economic Development Inc.: $6,000 for speculative home
- Dallas County Hospital Foundation Inc.: $1,500 for Medical Equipment Loan Closet
- Dallas County Habitat for Humanity: $1,500 for affordable housing education and cohosting HabiTour bicycle ride
- Art on the Prairie: $1,500 toward Sesquicentennial Celebration
- Genesis Development: $6,500 for counseling students
- Perry Area Child Development Center: $5,000 for scholarships
- Perry Area Child Development Center: $1,400 for carpet cleaning
- Acorns and Oaks Daycare: $560 to purchase iPads
- Mount Olivet Lutheran Church: $1,000 toward AC and furnace replacement
- St. Patrick Church: $800 to purchase Automated External Defibrillator
- Everybody Wins! Iowa: $1,500 to expand the PowerRead Program in Perry Elementary School
- PACES: $7,000 for Summer Learning Center Program
- Perry Middle School: $3,000 for STEM elective class
- Perry Middle School: $2,000 for DIY Robot kits & codecombat.com subscription
- HomeCare Services Inc of Dallas County: $574 for food proofer cabinet
- Minburn Community Betterment Group: $750 for Meet Me in Minburn concert series
- Minburn Area Firefighters Association: $1,900 for Mobile 700MHz radio
- Faith’s Flock Preschool: $1,600 for iPads
The Bock Family Foundation Inc. is a nonprofit supporting organization for the benefit of organizations operated for religious, charitable, scientific, literary or educational purposes. In order to receive grant funding projects must be located in Dallas County. Applicants must be a nonprofit organization or a unit of state or local government.
The foundation awards the grants in the fall and spring, with application deadlines of Sept. 1 and March 1. Questions about the grant guidelines and the application form may be directed to Bock Family Foundation Inc. Executive Director Scott Finneseth at 515-465-4641 or P.O. Box 487, Perry, IA 50220.