UPDATE: Monday house fire turns into big job for Perry VFD

0
1169
Perry Volunteer Fire Department firefighters rescue pets from the house fire at 425 Willis Ave. Monday evening. Photo courtesy Kellie Sprott DeHoet

A house fire on west Willis Avenue was thought to be under control by 5:30 p.m. Monday but instead kept the Perry Volunteer Fire Department occupied until well past 9 p.m.

The fire at 425 Willis Ave. “was caused by an electrical overload in the wall of an upstairs bedroom,” according to Perry Volunteer Fire Department Chief Chris Hinds. “Fire damage was confined to the bedroom, but the remainder of the residence suffered severe smoke and some water damage.”

Hinds said firefighters were on scene until 9:20 p.m.

There were no injuries in the incident, which began about 5 p.m. when smoke was reported coming from an attic vent.

“Actually, my house reignited,” said Chad Richardson of Perry, who is buying the 105-year-old house. “Thankful to the Perry Fire Department. Most of a total loss inside. The fire was not external but wrapped around inside the walls. Not an easy task for the fire department. They went above and beyond to help us locate our precious pets. Everyone is safe.”

Jerry C. Kuttler of Redfield holds the deed on the property, according to Dallas County records.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.